When you have a website, you will need a good content management system as well. It’s never easy to edit files manually - it is not just a slow process, but it often introduces errors in the code, which can ruin your entire website. CMS is quite important part of website design. It provides a simple, user-friendly and safe interface for managing the content of the database. If you choose the right content management system, you will be able to considerably reduce the risk associated with deletion of files related to codes.
Benefits of Selecting the Right CMS for your website
- Quick Edits - With the right content management system, it is possible to quickly edit a page or its content.
- Safe - A good CMS will reduce the problem of accident edits. It controls the way of saving and creating content.
- User-friendly - CMS helps in easy content composition, with its various content and media update tools. There are simple formatting controls which help in building attractive and functional websites.
- Easy Automation - Your CMS will allow you to automate many parts of the content delivery which includes creating an RSS feed. It is also possible to schedule posts so that content can be stacked up in advance.
- Saves Time - A good CMS system will help in saving time by reducing errors or manually filling the database.
Selecting the Right CMS for your website
When you start looking for options in CMS, you need to consider three things:
- Your comfort level - You might already be aware of a system or have already worked with one. You can stay with that CMS as it will boost your productivity and ensure you are comfortable using it. For example, if you have used WordPress in the past and you are comfortable working with it, it is a good idea to stay with it.
- Scripting Language and Database - For example, if you are experienced with PHP and MySQL, it is a good idea to stay with it.
- Need for Extensibility - There are several CMS’s which can be enhanced with different plugins. Thus, a blog can be easily turned to an eCommerce website or even a forum. As per you plan for the new website, you can select CMSs which offer the specific plugin modules.
Commonly Used Content Management Systems
There is so many CMS in the market to choose from. Now, let us consider some of the most common Content Management Systems and their various features, which might help you in your selection:
- SilverStripe - SilverStripe is a free an open source CMS platform. Not only it is a CMS, it is powered by a powerful framework that makes development fast, safe, and easily extendable. This our preferred CMS.
- WordPress – WordPress started as a blogging platform, but soon became a popular choice for creating advanced websites. It is a user-friendly platform with several inexpensive themes. It can be easily used by a non-developer to create and launch websites – thus, no technical know-how is required when you work on this platform. WordPress offers a number of plugins and add-ons which increase its functionality.
- Drupal – Drupal is suitable for developers or those with coding experience. It is a powerful software which can be scaled by developers as per requirements. It is flexible which makes it suitable for creating ecommerce stores which involve multiple users. Drupal is considered to be the most secure CMS. The Drupal community is very active and constantly works in creating modules.
- Joomla – Joomla is considered to be easy to learn and also use. However, it is suitable for developers. Joomla is perfect for building dynamic websites. Templated areas can be easily added where content be added. If you wish to use Joomla for your website, you need to hire a Joomla developer or have one of your staff.
- Magento – This is the CMS which is used by thousands of eCommerce websites across the world. The platform is available in paid and free versions. It is designed mostly for the eCommerce market and can be easily extended with the addition of plugins.
- SharePoint – This is the flagship CMS of Microsoft which offers everything from full process workflows to document libraries. It offers a sprawling structure and has a collaborative nature. Commonly used for intranet.
- Shopify – This is one of the most popular ecommerce site builders, used by thousands of ecommerce websites all over the world. Its CMS functionality is simple. On this platform, it is easy to create SEO friendly listings. The drag and drop feature are quite help helpful and helps in quick updating.
Businesses which are still not using CMS for managing their website, should immediately switch over. It is definitely going to save a lot of money and time. It is important to select the right tool for your job. You can select a CMS which is in close alignment with the various functions, extensions and flexibility which you need. Speak to our CMS experts to understand more.